The cement slab for the outdoor classroom has school district approval. We accepted delivery of six student tables and the teacher bench. As soon as we receive the student benches, our Friends volunteer will install the furniture!
August 14, 2020 | The Outdoor Classroom is happening! The fence is gone, the concrete slab building permit obtained, and the tables and benches are on order. This is an exciting day that our Friends President started thinking would never happen!
August 5, 2020 | The reserved parking signs are now all the same height and stand up straight! Oh yeah, they’re clean too.
Friends volunteer, Roger Mann, didn’t stop there! He moved this no parking sign. We can now get rid of the sign pole.
The new plantings at the base of the light pole were donated by A & J Custom Lawn Care, Inc. Thanks Allen!
August 1, 2020 | Making Dinsmore Elementary a little better. Little improvements add up.
July 9, 2020 | The site of the Outdoor Classroom has been selected! As soon as the permit for the concrete slab has been issued by the school district, the furniture will be ordered! Thanks CSX for the School Beautification Grant!
June 26, 2020 | School Beautification is still happening!
Today a stump grinder prepared the small area in the front of the school (near the library) for cultivation. It took a huge machine to dig though the web of small roots, compacted mulch, and who knows what else. Now we can let it settle and see how much soil needs to be removed prior to planting.
March 12, 2020 | Two school beautification work days were held this week. In the Interim between the work days, the hedges were severely trimmed by the school grounds crew. Just had to say, Friends did NOT trim the hedges. Here is what was accomplished:
- Day 1: The dead tree next to the principal parking space was cut down and removed.
- Day 1: The hedges to the right of the flag pole were cleaned free of vines and debris.
- Day 1: All the leaves in front of the school were bagged and trashed.
- Day 2: The 8 poles in the hedges were expertly removed by volunteer, Roger Mann.
- Day 2: While there with his small tractor, Roger also removed an invasive plant in the hedges to the left of the flagpole. Friends will plant two new plants in the gap.
- Day 2: We again cleaned out debris under the hedges to the right of the flagpole. It was easier this time as was only freshly fallen trimmings.
- Day 2: The Little Free Library was moved to a safer location. When the traffic fatality on Old Kings Road came close to the Little Free Library, the principal said she’d like it moved away from the higher-speed traffic. Now the Little Free Library is near the walk-up dismissal area.
We hope to spread mulch on our next school beautification work day! To be notified of the date, sign up for email alerts.
February 13, 2020 | Today CSX presented Friends of Dinsmore Elementary with a $10,000 check – yes, you read that right $10,000 – for School Beautification!
Dinsmore Elementary is an “A” school; let’s make it look like an “A” school from the roads. Come join us at the SAC meeting on Thursday, March 5th, and let’s make school beautification plans. And, this will make the School Beautification Work Day scheduled for Saturday, March 7, all the more exciting. Don’t miss either event!
Come join in the School Beautification Work Day!
To view more about this and other volunteer opportunities, click here.
September 28, 2019 | Thanks to the more than 25 volunteers, Dinsmore Elementary’s first School Beautification Work Day was a huge success!
The school principal took this photo. Next time…more photos!